Get Advice

We offer access to advice in several ways:


You may find the answer to your question on Adviceguide. Here you’ll find information on housing, work, debt and money, benefits, consumer issues, relationships, law and rights, discrimination, tax issues, etc.


You can email us and a trained adviser will aim to answer your question within two working days.  Please check your spam / junk mail for our reply.

PLEASE NOTE:  We are unable to contact clients who are referred to us by third parties due to our Data Protection Rules, please ask your client to either telephone us or to personally complete the form themselves.


If you want to talk to someone to get information or advice, you can call our Adviceline service on (freephone) 0800 144 88 48 (you will be asked to input a landline number, if you don’t have one please add 01226 209365). You’ll speak to a trained assessor who’ll talk to you about your enquiry to try and deal with your problems and help you to decide what to do. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday, from 10.00 to 16.00

Local Debt Line: 01226 446997

If you have debt or money worries, please call this number to speak with a debt adviser.  Open Monday and Wednesday from 9am to 4.30pm

Face to Face


Video Advice: To book advice via video call please leave us a message on 01226 666017 or use our email contact form above.

BSL Textphone 0800 144 8884

Universal Credit: Help to Claim Service

Get help applying for Universal Credit.

Our Help to Claim service can support you in the early stages of your Universal Credit Claim, from the application to your first payment.

Help to Claim is a dedicated service from Citizens Advice.  It’s free, independent and confidential.  Our trained advisers can help you with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare for your work coach appointment.

Call us for free:  0800 144 8 444

Visit us:  Barnsley Job Centre, Floor 1 where our Adviser will be available to assist you.

For online advice including webchat visit:

Emergency Face-to-Face advice (our Reception is currently closed due to Covid-19)

If you come to our offices in Wellington House without an appointment, we can only help you at that time if:

  • You have an emergency situation for example you are threatened with imminent eviction or other court action.
  • You find it difficult to use the phone because of a hearing impairment, or if English is not your first language.
  • You do not have access to a phone due to your financial circumstances

If we cannot help you at the time you call in, we may make an appointment for you.

If you are not in any of these situations you will be asked to telephone our Adviceline on

(freephone) 0800 1448848

Report a Hate Crime

Citizens Advice Barnsley is a Third Party Reporting Centre for Hate Crime.

Hate crime is an incident that targets someone based on their social identity because of:

  • disability
  • gender identity
  • race, ethnicity or nationality
  • religion, faith or belief
  • sexual orientation

Hate and can take place anywhere, in person or online, and includes:

  • verbal abuse
  • threatening behaviour
  • damage to property
  • physical assault
  • offensive graffiti
  • offensive comments or images on social media or text messages

Can I report for someone else?

Yes.  If you witness a hate crime you can report this, even if you don’t know the name of the person it happened to.

Can I report anonymously?

Yes you can, although it may make it difficult to investigate.

Hate Crime can be reported directly to South Yorkshire Police here