Application form to become a volunteer at Citizens Advice Barnsley

If you are subject to immigration control, please check your visa / entry clearance conditions or contact UKBA if you are unsure.

E.g. gateway assessor, adviser, receptionist, administrator, social policy
support worker, trustee, information assistant.

E.g. dealing with people face-to-face or on the phone, speaking / writing a language other than English, sign language, filing, research, using a computer, helping people to learn.

E.g. employment, work experience, volunteering, community activity (involvement in tenants’ associations, school activities, support groups, etc), caring for children or other relatives, classes, training courses.

It is useful to know when you will be available to volunteer. Please indicate below the times when you are generally available:






Most roles require a minimum time commitment. E.g. 8 hours per week for a gateway assessor.


Please give the names and addresses of two people, other than your family, who can tell us about you – e.g. an employer, teacher or someone who knows you well.

E.g. mobility. This information will be treated as strictly confidential.

E.g. Citizens Advice website, Do-it, Voluntary Action Barnsley, newspaper article.

Our policy on convictions

We only carry out Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks for roles working directly with clients in services targeted at vulnerable adults or children. Our policy is in place to make sure ex-offenders are treated fairly.

We consider each offence individually, looking at issues like risk to the client, how long ago it took place, the circumstances and whether they are relevant to the volunteer role. Anyone with a conviction for a sexual offence against a child or vulnerable adult is considered unsuitable to volunteer.

Criminal convictions

Having a criminal record will not necessarily bar you from volunteering for Citizens Advice Barnsley – much will depend on the type of role and the background and circumstances of your offence.

Entitlement to work or volunteer

If you are from outside the EU / EEA, it’s important you check you are permitted to volunteer or carry out ‘unpaid work’ in addition to your main reason for entering the country, to avoid jeopardising your visa status.

If you cannot find the answer clearly on your immigration documentation, contact the UK Border Agency.

Volunteer diversity monitoring information

The CAB service is committed to valuing diversity and promoting equality. We encourage and welcome applications from all people, whatever their background, who are interested in applying to be volunteers regardless of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.

In order to achieve these aims we need to know about the diversity of people who apply to be volunteers in the service. Please help us by providing the following information.

All information will be treated confidentially and will be separated from your application form before your application is considered. This information will not affect your application.

The Citizens Advice service believes that people are disabled by the barriers society places in their way and not by their own impairments. We believe everyone has a role to play in society and we want the service to benefit from the widest range of talent available.

Ethnic origin

Sexual Orientation

Religion or belief

Data Protection Act 1998
As part of the recruitment procedure we may collect and store sensitive personal data about you. We are required by law to obtain your consent to such data being recorded. It is our policy to store data relating to recruitment procedures for up to a year after the date on which it is submitted. Any information of this nature will be treated confidentially. Sensitive personal data is defined as information relating to any of the following: racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, health, sexuality or sex life, offences and/or convictions.

For the purposes of the Act the Data Controller is the Citizens Advice Service.

I give my consent to sensitive personal information being recorded and stored.